Going the extra mileUsually I just stake the gas-key, but after finding this I decided to give it a try and add the extra step. Working well so far and at the price you can't go wrong.
Permatex Gas Key Sealant (2mL)
This is the proper sealing goop required when installing a gas key to the bolt carrier (see the blueprint picture). We have packaged it conveniently for you in single serving sizes. 2mL should be enough for a few (like 10) gas keys if you handle it carefully.
- Sticky as shit
- Smells like freedom
- A little goes a very long way
- Seals up any possible leaking air in your direct impingement system
- Should last a long long time in the jar if you keep it sealed nicely
- (1) 2mL of Permatex in a plastic jar
- AR-15/M16 Bolt Carrier Groups
- Anything you want to gas seal
Tools required: Something to apply it to the bolt carrier. A disposable blade or a big splinter off a 2x4 works well in a pinch. The can from the factory has a shitty lid brush. An acid brush or dollar store kids paintbrush is ideal.
Installation notes: Keep the lid on tightly between uses to prevent it from drying out. Also blow through the gas key after seating the key to ensure that the gasket hasn't blocked the tiny gas hole.